I am committed to “working for our Members:.” I believe that without a strong membership there would not be a strong Union. Communication with our members is vital to the well being of a healthy and whole alliance. I have 36 years Postal Service work throughout both post offices and mail processing plants. I have learned from firsthand knowledge and experience at ground level how to communicate with postal employees and crafts. I use this experience to educate, increase and organize membership. I have had the honor to serve the membership as Union Steward and Organizing Director for Local 32. I have worked hard to increase Local membership to 82% and sign on 100% of the PSE personnel. I serve and have increased memberships for GPWU, Athens, Gainesville and others in the Atlanta area.
National Organization Goals:
• When I am elected, I will immediately begin to visit each region within the three (3) years of my office to talk to organizers to let them know who I am and how we can collaborate together.
• I would also put in place a system to reward the person who brings in the most members as an incentive.
• To increase diversity more focus will be placed on employees with different communication needs including the hearing impaired, and those for whom English is a second language (ESOL).
“Working for the membership should be the number one goal of an Organizer”:
• Increased Job Security by protesting against Staples.
• Conducted Orientation for new Members for past six years.
• Proficient in Sign Language for the hearing impaired.
• Increased membership for Atlanta Local 32 & GPWU
• Successful Campaign drives in the Atlanta Area.
About Doris Simmons
“Doris Simmons believes in an open-door policy and is very approachable. She is open-minded of suggestions from others and is a team player; with the qualities this will make APWU a stronger Alliance.”
• Loves Sports, football, basketball, and golf
• Two beautiful daughters
• A dog named Sammy
Volunteer & Community Involvement
• Volunteered at Douglasville Nursing Home
• UMCLR (United Methodist Committee on Relief)
Early Response Certification, caring Christian
Relief during natural and man-made disasters.
• Max Cleland Unites States Senator, Campaign
• Stacy Abrams for Georgia Governor, Campaign
• A member of United Methodist Church
“We must maintain the members who have been faithful and dedicated to the union; they are the ones who solidify the base of the locals.”